Monday, October 6, 2014

Lessons Learned From Injury (1)

Lessons learned in injury.

(1) Stillness
_ By Ruth Calder Murphy

Forced to sit in stillness,
listening to the beating of my heart,
frustration flowing away
on the tide of reality,
I learn the lessons that stillness brings -
equal and opposite
to the freedom of wings
and flight -
the freedom of grounding
and growing,
of healing and second sight…
Sitting in stillness,
the brownian motion world
a space or two removed,
away from the rigours of the race -
and my breath slowed to sleeping pace -
I learn again the lesson of sitting still
- against the natural inclination of my restless will -
of how to breathe more deeply,
allowing space to stretch and grow,
in the places only visible
from the pause of Calm and Slow…


 Image: "Be Still" - Oil Painting by Ruth Calder Murphy A3 size. Available to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment